Friday 17 July 2015

What is art?



Remove this, (after asking nicely) attach it to a vast, white wall in The Tate Modern, et voila - ART.  I especially like the small cat hole cut into one of the rusted panels.
I think I've blogged about them before but The Boyle family did just this, in, I think, the 70s except rather than removing whole walls, paths, etc, they would recreate (and perhaps some of them still do) down to the last spider and dust mote, a small section of the planet's surface, after pinpointing it on a map and going there to presumably take a lot of photos.
Actually I just looked up as to how the process was devised - large world map, blindfolded participants and darts . . .

Here's a link to The Boyle family's work.

http://www.boylefamily.co.uk/boyle/about/index.html




No comments:

Post a Comment