Sunday 10 November 2013

Further proof

That the world is an unbalanced and dangerous place.
I had just finished reading the latest update on typhoon Haiyan in the Gruaniad and a shopping ad popped up to the left of my screen 'suggesting' I might like to part with over twenty euros for . . . well, I'll come to that in a minute.
For a start. I don't use 'La Redoute' catalogue, don't think I ever have, and Mark certainly doesn't. Not for any reason other than we shop (for clothes, etc) exclusively at Parchemin - the local recycling place (often mentioned on this blog), the equivalent of car boot sales - the vide grenier, and occasionally out of desperation, at a shop. Okay, Amazon, very occasionally, if Mark needs shoes - size 13 is impossible to find here.
So why keep prodding me virtually with info about pans, dresses, televisions, shoes and SLIPPERS when I'm not going to press 'yes, proceed to marketplace, thanks.' Surely the info-gathereres for La Redoute and other mass consumer organisations have realised I'm not worth the bother.
Anyway: here's the item I started going on about earlier - and, I almost had to start a new World's Most Stupid Items blog in incredulity of the crass, pathetic, absurd and wasteful nature of these . . . things.


Yes. Cow udder slippers.
Who, when, where, and what %#@!!xx%* meeting saw the birth of these? How could people have sat there and said: congratulations Mr Pratt, those certainly will keep feet warm and raise a chuckle.
Let's look at them seriously. How long would they last? (About a day in our house, before they would be covered in clumps of cat hair and stove spillages.) You might try and wash them but I doubt if the jaunty teats would stand the washing machine for long. The local tip would soon beckon, and new daft footwear would have to be sought. Perhaps La Redoute would have come up with goat testicle slippers by then.
Are they warm?  I doubt if warmth is in the equation - purely a joke: over twenty euros for a joke. Twenty euros - probably well over the monthly wage for the person who guided the sewing machine over these monsters, possibly in the Philippines . . . before the typhoon struck.

No comments:

Post a Comment