Tuesday 9 October 2012

Fishcakes!



I had to put this here . . . an explanation:
In everyone's families, unless we are an exception and I think not, there are quirky phrases and familiar things that slip into everyday-ness.
Years ago, when Ezra used to start a long and rambling story or idea, when he paused for what seemed an interminable time, I would insert the word 'fishcake', cruel? Mm, maybe. It became a reoccurring household joke. One day I thought I would lookup 'fishcake' on the newly-burgeoning 'Youtube' and there it was, a marvellous piece of madness; a rambling tuneful ode to these crumb-encrusted entities.
It is now sung around the house, mainly by Ezra in variations that Kurt Schwitters would have reveled in; my favourite being the 'version Francaise'. If I can catch it on film, it will join this one on Youtube.
By the way, the Thornton family — if you happen upon this post, does the narrator have a slight resemblance to someone . . .

Sadly, the fishcake video has been removed but I left the post as it was such a family landmark.

No comments:

Post a Comment